Summer is in full swing and some of you may still have some family vacations to look forward to! What do you plan to do on your trip? Relax? Have fun? Catch some rays? While fun and relaxation may be at the forefront of your vacation planning, you might also want to prepare by incorporating a missional mindset to your trip.
My church printed and distributed a Family Vacation Prayer Guide that encourages families to make time for intentional prayer while on vacation, and I wanted to share it with you all here.
Here is a list of the different prayer topics, ideas and prompts listed in the guide:
- People groups where you’re going. You can find out which people groups live in your vacation spot by visiting joshuaproject.net or peoplegroups.info ahead of time. Begin praying over those groups before you go!
- Pray at night. Each evening, pray Romans 1 over people who are not walking in the light and are rejecting God’s truth. | For example: Dear God, Your invisible attributes have been clearly perceived. Would you reveal to people that want to reject you that they are without excuse? (Romans 1:20)
- Kids’ Afternoon. Encourage your kids to plan an afternoon while on vacation and let the kids choose ways to pray for the people they see.
- Postcards. Take your kids to pick out a postcard and have them write what God showed them on vacation. You can mail them home or just keep them as a way to remember how God worked!
- Living Water. Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” John 7:37-38 | Pray this verse at a body of water and ask God to be the living water to the people residing nearby.
- Bread of Life. “I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.” John 6:51 | Pray for each person who prepares or serves a meal for your family. Ask your waiter or server to share a prayer request and pray for them right there. Provide a meal for someone in need.
- The Church Body. “And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” Hebrews 10:24-25 | Pray this verse for each church you pass. Take time to go into a church, attend a service, and encourage the members.
- The Harvest. Read the Parable of the Sower found in Matthew 13. Pray these verses when you see flowers or farms. Pray for the “soil” to be soft. Pray for believers to be spreading the seeds of the gospel faithfully. Pray for God to produce a great harvest.
- Pray for Schools. “In the same way, let your light shine before other, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” Matthew 5:16 | Pray this verse when your family passes a school. Pray for Christian kids and faculty to not hide their light under a basket, but shine Christ’s light to other kids and teachers.
- Jesus is Life. “Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'” John 14:6 | Pray this verse when you pass a temple, mosque or synagogue. Pray the people worshipping would know Jesus as the way, the truth, and the life.
- Look Around. Walk around the city with your family before dinner. Spend time quietly observing the people. Then, go to dinner and talk about what you observed. Were there homeless people? Were there police officers? Were there families that looked different? Pray for the people your family noticed.
- Pray for those in your midst. “The Lord reigns, let the earth rejoice; let the many coastlands be glad!” Psalm 97:1 | Pray over your hotel, house or condo where your family is staying. Pray the Lord will reign in the hearts of the people working and residing there. Seek to get to know the guest service people and pray with and for them.
- The Lord Provides. “And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19 | Pray this verse when you see rain. Provide an umbrella for somebody who does not have one. Share this verse with them to show the ultimate need we have in Christ.
- Ask, Seek, Knock. “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and the one who knocks it will be opened.” Matthew 7:7 | Pray this verse when you see a colorful or interesting door. Pray for the people inside and that God would move their hearts to seek Him.
Share this guide with your friends and encourage them to prayer walk on their family vacations.